Eastablished in 1917 by the great educationalist Raj Kedar Nath, Ramjas College is one of the premier and oldest colleges of University of Delhi.
By creating history completing its centennial year (it completed 100 years last year), Ramjas had also been in the news for other reasons.
The credentials of the colleges speak for its grandeur
Ramjas has completed his 100 years and created his name on the history.
The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee addressed the Centenary Celebration of Ramjas College at Rashtrapati Bhavan on February 13, 2017. He also presented Lifetime Achievement Award for our Principal, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, who served his duty for last 32 years, the longest serving term for any DU college principal.
Do we need superpowers to get admission?
To get admission in the college one does have to study hard as its cut-offs are quite high. Still, looking at it relatively, they are not the highest. ECA and Sports Quota students do have a great chance to get into a course of their choice.
When it comes to rankings, Ramjas is one of the leading colleges for the science stream with faculty like Dr. Amit Bhattacharya, Dr.Sheeza, Dr. Anand Pushkar, Dr. Pramila Mohan and many more
Not only in science, Ramjas stand among the top 10 commerce college of India. In fact, the current Principal P.C. Tulsian is a prolific writer of academic books of the stream.
“Sirf padhte rehte ho?”
And when it comes to societies, Ramjas is a name to reckon with, with Shunya- The Dramatics Society which is among the most active societies in DU, Focus-The Photography Society that has enviable professionalism and no dearth of opportunities, The RDS- Dance Society which has bagged various prizes. And The Pinnacle- Placement cell which provides a plethora of opportunities to network. Here’s a list of all the societies to choose from:
- DebSoc, The Debating Society
- Qnights, The Quiz Society
- Focus, The Photography Society
- Wordcraft – Literary Society of Ramjas College
- Mélange, The Fine Arts Society
- Shunya, The Dramatics Society
- Genesis, The Biological Society
- In-step, The Choreography Society
- illuminati, The Physics Society
- PULSE, The Electronic Society
- The Bloom, The Botany Society
- Zoon, The Zoology Society
- Expressions, The Literary Society
- Backbeat, The Music Society
- Spartacus, Department of Political Sciences
- The Startup Edge – Entrepreneurship Cell, Ramjas College
- Spectrum – B.A Programme society.
- Pankti – The Poetry Society of Ramjas College
- Radix-The Mathematics Society
“Tell me about the cool hangout places!”
When it comes to hangout places, DU, especially North Campus, has no dearth.
For the Ramjas students, it is either Amphitheatre, Canteen, Sutta Lane, DS: they are the best to spend time with your friends and make a lot of memories.
Not just College, if you come to Ramjas Tom Uncle Maggi Point is also usually peppered in conversations about snacks. Kamla Market is just few minutes away from the College which means you can also spoil yourself with choice on good days.
Best place to nurture leaders
Ramjas has always been a hot ground for student politics. It has churned out talent in a variety of fields:
- Ajit Prakash Shah, Chief Justice of Delhi High Court.
- Angaraag Mahanta, composer and singer.
- Ashok Saikia, Additional Secretary of the Prime Minister of India.
- Chaudhary Brahm Prakash, 1st Chief Minister of Delhi.
- Kahlil Joseph, American Actor.
- Manish Jha, Film director.
- Manoj Bajpai, Actor.
- Prakash Jha, Film Director
- Praveen Kumar, Documentary filmmaker
- Pravesh Rana, Bigg Boss finalist and Model and many others…
How Do I reach Ramjas?
To reach Ramjas, one needs to get off at Vishwavidhalya Metro Station on Yellow line and can take the rickshaw, University-run bus or on foot.
This article has been co-authored by Sonam Barman, a student of Ramjas College, Delhi University and a Campus Associate Intern with University Express.
Featured Image Credits: GetmyUni