Getting drunk all night while loud EDM plays in a posh club of GK, strange faces all around us and that is the perfect picture we are all acquainted to- the birthdays that reside in our comfort zone. However, I had the chance to go to an alternative birthday party, very recently. This series of captured moments are from a very warm an intimate birthday party where faces were known and a fuller plate was a matter of concern- where laughter and poignancy resided together.
- Ungraceful, hard stairs lead up to a single blue room. Women in bright sarees prepare delicacies in a kitchen. Food is timely served.
The cake is only cut when every single beloved person is present in the room…
2. “What does blue represent for you?”
“Peace”, I say.
3. Everyone has brought gifts for the birthday girl. They range from golden sandals to books. Their laughter resounds and the neighbours know about a party happening next door.
4. Mother gives the first bite of the cake to the daughter, then to her husband and a little is obviously saved for facial purposes. It is her day; it is their day.
5. The domesticity is prominent. There is a nostalgia, a reminiscence about certain identities which are now lost. A grandeur now severed from the very neck.
It isn’t the other; It is this present. It isn’t us and them; it is our togetherness. The parallel aspect shall reside but one day it shall intersect again…