Fallacy of greatness: Are tests and grades apt ways of assessments?

Source

I remember those childhood days when just after your name the question that came next was about your marks in the previous examination by none other than the Sharma ji’s and Gupta Ji’s of your neighbourhood. Scored well! Appreciated, Scored good! Work Harder, Scored Average! You don’t deserve to exist. I would have been satisfied if the question haunted only in the primary and secondary schools but the actual pain comes into existence in your senior secondary school which is summarised between the 10th and 12th standard. The problem is not actually with marks, the problem is with the way people take it. It seems as if it is an easy parameter that make the kids a soft target to judge.

“Assessment” per say is an extremely objective word and we CAN NOT subject it to only your grades. It’s much more than that. The bottom line of this argument is that not everyone in the world can become a doctor or an engineer and perhaps we cannot do away with life only with PhDs and MBA’s, we need people from diverse professions with different capabilities. Different capabilities because we even if are fortunate enough to get to pursue our field of interest after breaking certain barriers the biggest one is to score in the traditional system of examinations where you are marked on a prescribed syllabus and not prescribed skills. Every learning process requires evaluation; agreed, but what is definitely not required is the discrimination that follows the examination process. You don’t score well, you are not qualified enough to pursue higher education or get a good job. So, basically some set of question papers and subsequently the marks you scored on them decide your fate. We might have heard a lot of debates on changing the education system, but what needs to be changed before that is the mind sets and the process where people pay heed (much more than it deserves) in order to establish a ground where people can be put in a hierarchical position. Now, the question that comes into being is, how then should one evaluate since it is necessary. Like I earlier said, the process needs to be change,theories are only successful when their are implemented successfully.

Not all the applications have the same theory; similarly the evaluation for different sectors of employment and education should be transformed in a manner where the concerned bodies test you on the basis of what skill is actually required for the future persuasion of their study or employment. For example, all the B schools have a process in which after the entrance they have a set of interviews and group discussions as this is actually the skill required to be an MBA and so they test on an all round basis. Marks and grades should in no manner demotivate you rather a belief that you will be tested on a skill that you actually want to follow and to be a master of that area which you actually aspire to be will definitely rejuvenate everyone’s faith in the system. India is a young country and when I say this I mean that 65% of the country’s population belongs to youth. Think about it! A little change will do wonders.

Featured Image Source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here