The ‘Mid-College’ Crisis of a Second Year DU Student

It’s while you are giving a grand farewell to your seniors, you begin to realize that it will be you in their shoes next year. You, dressed in a sari or a tuxedo, graduating from college. And that leaves a bittersweet taste in your mouth, sometimes, more bitter than sweet. The thought of three years of that roller coaster ride called college finally coming to an end starts sinking in. Just another 365 days and it’s the end of an era.

Just at the moment when your friend circle starts feeling closer than family, time threatens it and starts running faster than ever. Skipping classes to chill out, submitting assignments right at the end, attending gigs, concerts, plays and fests – it suddenly dawns on you that this happy paradise comes with a ticking clock. You only have a year left to make more memories when it seems just like yesterday that you had entered college as a nervous and excited little naïve kid.

With the third year looming large, you not only feel an emotional pressure but also an academic pressure building up. As a first year student, it was perfectly fine being undecided about your future. It was okay to stumble upon things and take them as they come. But at some point in your second year, you are expected to somewhat identify your interests and have a tentative idea of the career you want. However, if you are anything like me, you are still stuck with doubts and apprehensions. Sure, you may know what interests you, but to transform that interest into a potential job is a completely different path to tread on.

No, I’m not trying to scare you here like an unnecessarily interrupting and noisy neighborhood aunty. What I am here to tell you is that you are not alone in this ocean of uncertainties. Almost every student is going through the exact same emotions as you right now. The only difference is that some are better at hiding it than others. You may feel entangled in a web of insecurities and confusion right now but it always unravels with time, sooner or later. Just keep doing what you do best and keep your fingers crossed. At the end of the day, life will sort itself out eventually (read: hopefully).

Image Source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here