What is it like to be a Hero?

http://freshstart.church/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/superhero.png

When the previous month witnessed a power pack punch from the world of inhumans and super heroes, I realized how I missed being a part of that world. How much I wanted to work beside Clark Kent in the Daily Planet, under Bruce Wayne at Wayne Enterprises,  with the Cavalry on Phil Coulson’s orders or as Karen Page at Nelson & Murdock. I even began pushing my physical abilities (focusing on hearing a friend talking two rows across me or just opening my fist expecting the car pane to crack with my shaky powers) in expectation of suddenly becoming the chosen one. Strongly affected with that side of the world, I didn’t let my dreams dampen. I read all I could, searched the internet with all kinds of questions regarding ‘Terrigenesis’. Yet, all in vain!

Amidst all this, I came across a quote from the Spiderman which read – It is my gift, it is my curse. I realized that not only me, but a lot of us fail to see the second side to being a hero. A little while back, I wondered why Superman never suffered from PSTD on being told about his parents’ death because for Bruce Wayne (and Alfred!), it was a life altering experience. Even Captain America shows signs of depression in the form of self-guilt (Bucky turning into the infamous Winter Soldier) and Black Widow re-lives her dark past which nobody knows or made an attempt to. These heroes have become what they are to ensure that the world doesn’t suffer the way they had to. Greed, fame and recognition don’t lure them. They are married and dedicated to their jobs of protecting the innocent and do not receive even a dime for each soul they save. Still, they take a dive and thrive. They budget (in most cases, forego) their family time to keep others’ relations intact. Even after feeling deprived, they thrive.

Source
Source

When Clark Kent , in his adolescence, would have realized the invincible side to his identity; he had a fair chance to be reckless about it and go on a menacing spree. But he chose not to. This is what really makes him SUPER. There were times when even Daredevil could have taken a day off to stand true to his friend- Foggy’s expectations, but he chose to sideline his personal endeavors and fought for his city. Commitment is what makes them the true hero.

Sadly, I am too self involved to become one. There I go (a moment of realization), all my questions answered.

But what about us? The muggles? Or the normal humans? Do we need the vigilante justice? I think not. Actually, the real question is whether we can justify the vigilante justice. Comics depict super villains who have alien powers or some kind of ancient formula to overpower themselves.  That is when the gifted individuals with supernormal powers are required. A city in India doesn’t require such a justice. The message of revenge sent out would invite destructive course of responses from the general public. I have a dear friend who keenly observes all Marvel and DC movies. And according to him, the concept of vigilante justice is way too ‘dumb’ to be applied in reality. Because in a world like ours, if people worship anything above the law, the entire justice system would collapse.

In the mean time, my liking to the city of Gotham, Metropolis or Hell’s Kitchen won’t fade. The world of comics will still lure me like it does a child; because as Batman famously said “It is not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here