Founded in 1899, Hindu college offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in science, humanities and social sciences. The college is also among the oldest institutions in Delhi. According to the Alma Mater’s manual, “Hindu College endeavors to nurture students with a keen analytical and scientific bent of mind with sensitivity to their responsibilities and human values so that they are amongst the best citizens of India.” The college has a fully automated, air conditioned and computerized library with over one lakh books, OPAC and E-journals providing a good infrastructure and pleasant ambience of reading and learning. As per the list of top 10 DU colleges released by India Today Group, Hindu college stands at number 3 for Arts, Commerce and Science courses.
“Manzil Kahaan Hai?”
The nearest metro station is Vishvidyalaya. From there, you can board a bus or take a rickshaw, or simply walk down. There you are! Smell the air of freedom.
Loosening the Nuts and Bolts
- The library helps in providing photocopies of articles/text to students and staff members from documents available in the library, so you will never have to go running to Patel Chest.
- Situated next to the sports complex, the Hostel is a spacious structure with 119 rooms enclosing eight lawns which provide residential facilities to about two hundred undergraduate and postgraduate male students with recreational facilities such as Table-tennis, Carom-board, Chess-board, and a separate TV room.
- And, guess what? Girls’ Hostel for undergraduate and postgraduate students is under construction.
- Hindu college organizes its annual cultural fest ‘Mecca‘, a well known college fest of Delhi University with performing artists like RDB, Rekha Bharadwaj, Underground Authority and likewise.
- Hindu is also known for its International Exchange programs and seminars conducted every year.
- Worshipping of Virgin Tree every year at Valentine’s Day has become a tradition.
Sought after disciplines/courses
B.A. English, B.A. Political Science, B.A. Economics, B.Sc. Botany, B.Sc. Chemistry, B.Sc. Physics among many others.
The first cutoff list for the year 2016 went as high as 97.75 for English and Economics, B.Com and History, 96.75 for Political Science, 95 for Philosophy, 92 for Hindi, 95 for Botany, 97.33 for Chemistry, 97.5 for Mathematics and 98 for Statistics and Physics.
- Apart from academic excellence, the college boasts of various societies meant to nurture their hidden talents and provide a training ground for development. The names of the societies are as follows: Aarambh – The Western Dance Society, Abhirang – The Hindi Dramatics Society, Abstractions – The Fine Art Society, Adhrita – The Classical Dance Society, Ankur – Society for the Needs of the Differently Abled, among many others.
- English Debating Society- The ‘DebSoc’ directly traces its lineage to the unique institution of the Hindu College Parliament, which served as an important platform during India’s freedom struggle and was addressed by luminaries such as Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Maulana Azad and M.A. Jinnah.
- Ibtida is the dramatics society of Hindu College which performs both stage and street plays. It was formed by Imtiaz Ali while he was a student at the college.
- Women’s Development Cell attempts to sensitize the student and teaching community on issues relating to gender discrimination besides organizing self-defense workshops in association with Delhi Police.
- Abhyas- The Internship cell has made significant attempts in making the campus a meeting ground for potential employers and students. The following companies have been coming to Hindu campus to offer internships: Outlook India, Philip Morris International, Teach For India, Make A Difference, Empower India and so on.
- Now, the Nation knows that Arnab Goswami, managing director and co-founder of Republic TV, with his unabashed and unapologetic questions studied in Hindu college.
- Conferred with the Arjuna award in 2008, Gautam Gambhir showed his exceptional batting skills as a part of Team India. His impressive leadership bagged the prestigious IPL trophy to his team Kolkata Knight Riders twice, in 2012 and 2014.
- Rekha Bharadwaj and Vishal Bharadwaj, both being National award winners have contributed significantly to the Hindi film industry. While she has a textured voice echoing in songs like ‘Kabira’ and ‘Darling’, he adapted Shakespearean plays like ‘Hamlet’ and ‘Macbeth’, translating them on screen with ease.
- Hindu College canteen offers lip-smacking food at affordable prices including Momos, Shahi Paneer and Roti, Kullar Lassi, Parantha and Dosa.
- Pizzas and More, abbreviated as PAM offering burgers, sandwiches and brownies, stands as a well-known meeting point to share friendships and conversations, but not food. *winks*
- Under the shade of ‘Virgin Tree’, you can lie down, read or ponder about your existential crisis.
- If you are a connoisseur of Art, you can relish the beautiful wall paintings and caricatures put up on the canteen walls.
For more admission related guidelines, visit the college’s official website here