Know your location
The college is in Benito Juarez Marg, Dhaula Kuan. If you plan to take the metro, the nearest station would be AIIMS from where you need to avail the bus or auto service to reach the college.
Decoding XYZ of Venky (As it is fondly called)
- On the campus, the hostel has 36 rooms to accommodate 72 boys and 36 rooms for 72 girls.
- Outstation students generally reside at student-friendly accommodations in Satya Niketan, South Extension and Lajpat Nagar, since the college hostel has a limited intake of students.
- The college also boasts of excellent sporting facilities with a huge cricket field which hosts district level competitions. Lawn tennis and basketball facilities are under construction since 2012.
- NEXUS, the annual inter-college cultural festival of Sri Venkateswara organised by Fine Arts Association in collaboration with Students’ Union is known for performing bands like Parikrama, Indian Ocean, Pentagram and Euphoria, and celebrities like Kailash Kher, Sunidhi Chauhan, Mohit Chauhan and Vishal Dadlani.
- Then, there is the famous idol of Venkateswara Swamy in the campus which students frequently visit during examinations.
- The college also offers add-on courses like one-year certificate course in German (open to outsiders), one-year postgraduate certificate course in Travel & Tourism Management (through all India entrance test) and so on.
- The library has implemented bar code based computerized circulation system. All the staff members and students have been issued bar coded identity cards. Using WEB-OPAC, users can search the library’s holdings by Author, Title, Subject and Keywords.
- Sri Venkateswara, in collaboration with the British Council took part in the UKIERI-Study India Exchange Programme where students from various Universities across Britain came to India for a three week study tour.
How hard is it to get into the college?
The first cutoff for Economics (H) was at 97.5%, while for English it was 96.75%. For History (H) and Political Science (H), it was at 96%, while for B.Com (H), the cut-off was at 97.75%. For Statistics (H), Mathematics (H) and Physics (H), the cutoff was at 97%.
- The placement cell of Sri Venkateswara College has taken upon itself the onerous yet fulfilling task of assisting the students bettering their career prospect by providing them need based and result- oriented training programmes that help them achieve their need. The companies for recruitment include Deloitte, Ernst and Young, KPMG, Maruti Suzuki, Google, Wipro Technologies, HCL, Watson Wyatt, ICICI Priority Circle and Penguin group.
- Students have participated and won several prizes at various international/ national/ state/ inter-college level tournaments and competitions in the fields of Golf, Shooting, Polo, Cricket, Chess and Lawn Tennis etc.
- The Fine Arts Association conducts intra and inter-college competitions in events such as classical, western and folk dance, music, choreography, dramatics, creative writing, photography, painting and rangoli. The fine arts team was adjudged as the “best team in fine arts” at the HT Youth Nexus festival.
- The English Debating Society of the college is one of the prestigious circuits in the University of Delhi. Rhetoric, which was initiated as an Indo-Pak debating event, has grown over the years into one of the best parliamentary debating events in South Asia. PeopleSpeak attracts the largest participation of students from the University of Delhi.
- SVC’s thriving dramatics society is divided into The Hindi Dramatics Society called ‘Anubhuti’ and the English Dramatics Society called ‘Verbum’. Both the societies have been actively involved in theatre for the past eight years and have been winning competitions consistently.
- Women’s Development Centre empowers women by helping to develop their skills by building their confidence and honing their latent leadership qualities. This is done through a series of seminars, debates, lectures, workshops, film screenings, theatre and self-defence training camps.
- Parivartan, the Social Service Society actively organizes various events and activities throughout the year, such as teaching underprivileged kids after college hours; blood donation camps, stress management workshops, plays on social issues, Yamuna cleaning, and collaborating with the National Association for the Blind (NAB).
- The college magazine Neerajana, published annually showcases the literary and creative skills of the students. The magazine carries articles by students in English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Telugu and Tamil.
The college is situated right opposite the Satya Niketan market, flush with options.
- Big Yellow Door, located opposite to Venky, is known for its pocket friendly food, amazing ambience and is said to attract spectacular crowd.
- If you are a connoisseur of Art, Wood Box Cafe with its big Bamboo signboard and wooden interiors will surely interest you. To beat the scorching sun, their beverages will work wonders for you.
- To relish North Indian together with Chinese cuisine, QD’s is one of the most popular places in both South Campus and North Campus.
- Chowringhee is one of the most popular Kathi Rolls joint located in Satya Niketan.
- Maggie Point is another hangout place which offers delicious Maggie in different flavours like Garlic, Cheese and Pepper, Orange among many others.
For more information about the college, click on the official site here.